- Among the most common raptors in
North America and a very popular falconry bird.
- One of two raptors that apprentice
falconers are permitted to possess and train.
- Adults have red tails and immature
birds have brown tails with black bars.
- Only immature "passage"
birds can be trapped during their first migration by falconers.
- Versatile hunters that are extremely
trainable with good dispositions. Can be trained to hunt in a variety
of natural settings. Sometimes referred to as "old reliable"
- Excellent rabbit and squirrel hunters.
- Hearty and able to tolerate cold
Click for more information from the Patuxent
Bird Identification Infocenter