- Large, heavy buteo of the western U.S.
plains and deserts.
- Mainly feeds on ground squirrels and jackrabbits.
- While they are similar to Red-tailed Hawks,
they tend to be less even-tempered and harder to control. Can be quite territorial.
- Faster flyers than Red-tailed Hawks. Can
hunt effectively in heavy winds.
- Not a common falconry bird; more appropriate
for experienced falconers.
- Hunting with Ferruginous Hawks is like
hunting with a small eagle.
Click for more information from the Patuxent
Bird Identification Infocenter